Friday, June 11, 2010

Tex-Mex Lasagna

It's a party in your mouth!! It's just pretty darn tasty to be honest! You could make rice and beans with this or have it with a salad and chips and salsa (my fave way to serve it!) I made two of these today. We had one for supper and the other I froze. You could put the whole recipe up in one 9x13 pan, but I decided to bump up the recipe just a tad so we could have another meal later. The whole fam will love this one. I made my low-fat version. I'll put in parenthesis what I did today beside the original ingredient. Here's how ya do it..

Ingredients

*1-1/2 lbs. ground (1 lb. ground turkey- you won't be able to tell!)
*1 garlic clove, chopped*1/2 med. onion, diced
*1 pkg. taco seasoning
*1 can diced tomatoes (I used two)
*1 6 oz. can tomato sauce (6 oz. can tomato paste)
*1/2 c. water*1 small can of green chilies
*2 cups of cottage cheese (I used fat-free. If you are dividing it into 2 pans you may want to use 2 containers. I used just two cups and it wasn't quite enough for 2 pans.)
*2 eggs (may want to use 3 if you are using 2 containers cottage cheese.)
*12 corn tortillas (1 pkg mission corn tortillas, cut into fourths for 2 pans.)
*3-1/2 to 4 cups cheese (I did not use that much cheese. I love the stuff but it is fattening. I used 2-1/2 cups divided between the two pans. 1-1/4 cup per pan. You could use fat free cheese but it doesn't melt well and lets be honest it's not that good.)

In a large skillet add meat with chopped onion and garlic, brown meat; drain in you are using beef. Add taco seasoning, tomatoes, tomato paste, water, and green chilies (don't drain cans!). Mix well. Simmer about 10-15 min. While that is working, combine cottage cheese and eggs. Then cut your tortillas in fourths. Spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray (I like to buy the small square disposable pans from the store. Make life much easier! One less dish to wash!! Freeze one, eat one. I did make 2 9x13 disposable pans today out of the "bumped up recipe"). Layer half of the meat sauce, half of the tortillas, half of the cottage cheese, and of the cheese (I divided this between 2 pans). Repeat layers. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for about 30 min.
or until bubbly. Let stand 10 min before serving. Enjoy! Happy eating!

As you can see. I needed TWO containers of cottage cheese. Ah experiments..

If you make an extra one for later you will need to mark contents, date it, and have cooking instructions on it. Again, makes life easier.

No comments: