Thursday, June 10, 2010

Baby Food

I thought...okay, why have recipes just for adults?.?. Since I'm a stay-at-home Mom and we are on a budget (the dreaded "B" word..), plus I have a 6 month old. Why not post a recipe for baby food. Sounds weird, but hey, babies have to eat too! Plus I'm sure that there are Momma's out there that want to know how to do this. I ground up bananas and green beans today, but you could use this same method with just about any food that you wanted to "grind up for baby". I made baby food with my first child and I'm doing it again. It's really very easy. Why spend the extra money if you are at home. Granted the jars are better for travel. Save some moo-la and make your own!

Ingredients

*Vegetables with NO SALT or Fruit with NO SUGAR OR SYRUP
*A bit of water (1/2 c.)
*Ice cube trays
*Food processor or one of those bullet machines

NOTE: If you are using fresh veggies (my choice mostly), you will need to wash and cook them down before you put them into your choice of grinder. Or you could use canned veggies, but make sure they are SALT FREE. If they are canned drain them and rinse them well. When you use fruit it's better to use fresh or frozen. Canned has way too much sugar! Fresh, be sure to wash it. Frozen, thaw it out and rinse well (with frozen fruit you may not need extra water to get the consistency you want.)

First wash and rinse veggies and fruit well. Cook it down in a sauce pan with a bit of water (about 1/2 c.). Allow time to cool for a bit then spoon food into grinder. Set warm pan with water aside. Pulse until you get the consistency you want. If consistency is too think you may want to pour a little of the warm into grinder. (I like using the water that you cooked the food in because of the nutrience in the water. Plus the warm water breaks food down better and makes it smoother.) Then when it is to the desired consistency poor into ice cube trays. Cover with plastic wrap and place in freezer. When baby food is set, crack out of ice cube trays and place in a freezer safe storage bag. Be sure to mark the content and date it. When I am ready to feed my baby, I take out 1 cube (depends on how much baby eats..) and put it in a microwave safe bowl and zap it for about 10 sec. Take it out and test. If it needs more time then give it more time. Enjoy babies!

No comments: