Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Chocolate Zucchini Bread

YUM! I love this stuff!!! I also love the fact that I'm getting a vegetable in my daughter and she doesn't know it! :) You could bake this in two loaf pans for "bread" or you could bake it in a 9x13 pan and ice it. Haven't done that yet, but it would be SO GOOD! I remember my Mom making zucchini bread in the summer all the time because we had so many zucchini in the garden. My husband picked two out of our garden the other day and I knew I wanted to make this. I have been craving it! I know you will LOVE THIS as much as I do.

Ingredients

*1/2 c. margarine
*1/2 c. oil (I used applesauce. It's a low fat way of making it moist and it cuts out a TON of fat!)
*1-3/4 c. sugar (or you can use Splenda)
*1/2 c. milk
*1 tsp. lemon juice
*2 eggs
*1 tsp. vanilla
*4 tbsp. cocoa powder
*2-1/2 c. flour
*1 tsp. baking powder
*1/2 tsp. baking soda
*1/2 tsp. cinnamon
*1/2 tsp. cloves
*1 tsp. salt
*1/4 c. chocolate chips
*2 c. shredded zucchini (2 small zucchini= 2 c.)

In a large mixing bowl cream margarine, oil, and sugar together until well mixed. Then in a small separate bowl mix milk and lemon juice together and let stand 5 min. (you are making "sour milk"). Add eggs and vanilla to mixing bowl and mix well. Then add sour milk mixture. In a separate bowl, mix all of the dry ingredients together; cocoa, flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and salt. Mix well. Then add to wet ingredients. Stir in chocolate chips (**tip- so the chocolate chips don't sink to the bottom of the batter, toss them in a couple of tablespoons of flour before adding to mix) and zucchini. Pour into greased loaf pans or 9x13 baking dish for 50-60 min (until toothpick comes out clean). Allow time to cool before cutting. Enjoy!

Happy Eating!

No comments: