Thursday, June 10, 2010

Momma's Fried Squash



Memories! It's summer on a plate. It's my childhood on a plate. I love my Momma's Fried Squash!! It's so simple. Here's how you do it.

Ingredients

*3 med. size squash (0f course..)
*1/2 c. bread crumbs
*1/2 c. flour
*3 eggs
*Olive oil
*Veg. oil
(I use both because I like the flavor of the olive oil and the veg oil has a higher burning point)
*salt
*pepper
* 2 pie plates
* skillet
*something to cool your squash on. I like a sheet pan with a paper towel and a cooling rack over that. It allows excess grease to drip down onto paper towel.

First put oils into skillet (I love a good iron skillet) and heat to about 375 degrees (a good frying temp). While the oil is heating, cut your squash into 1/2 in. circles and set aside. Then, put your flour and bread crumbs into one pie plate and season with salt and pepper (how much of the s&p you use is your choice). Then in the other pie plate crack and add your 3 eggs and beat them until light and fluffy. Dip squash into egg then into flour a bread crumb mixture. Shake off excess. Place carefully in hot oil and fry until side begins to brown (1-2 min). Then flip and fry the other side. When squash are done put them on the cooling rack and immediately add a bit of salt. Enjoy.
Happy eating!



No comments: